Mary Meeker delivered her annual internet trends slideshow recently. Given the dominance of ecommerce in today’s market, it’s no surprise that the 2017 report highlights the state of retail.
Coming in at a record 355 pages – and delivered in just under 34 minutes – there’s plenty to learn. However, if you don’t have time to read the whole beast, here are just the juicy bits.
Mary Meeker’s top takeaways for retailers:
- Ecommerce growth is accelerating worldwide
- Traditional, brick-and-mortar retail stores are closing at a historic rate
- Customers are engaging with brands on their smartphones more often
- Amazon is experimenting with physical locations, despite other retailers shuttering stores
- Food delivery services like DoorDash are increasing revenue for restaurants
The bottom line? Retail isn’t dead, but customers expect innovative experiences. Based on these takeaways, mobile leaders will pull ahead of the pack, in customer loyalty and revenue.